Wednesday 25 April 2012

1000 Kilometer Challenge

I am a man who enjoys a challenge. I am also a man who enjoys running. So last night I was struck with an idea of creating a self-imposed running challenge (how exciting?).

It is on Wednesday 25th April 2012, I say with complete clarity of thought and without poor judgement, that over the course of the next year I am going to run a total of 1000km. Yes, you read that correctly, I will run 500km, and I will run 500km more, just to be the man who ran 1000km in the name of an incredibly self-indulgent year-long challenge.

This challenge will satisfy a few of my needs and wants. Primarily, it will be a great way to make me run more frequently and for longer. It will serve as an incredibly progressive, interesting and engaging weekly blog post (please read with intended sarcasm). It will also allow me to indulge in some great running stats, which I love.

An example of such exciting stats is below:
  1. To run 1000km in 365 days, I will need to run an average of 19.23km per week. That is 2.73km per day. 0.11km per hour (Have I taken it too far?)
  2. Over the course of the year I will burn an average of 55,000 calories (low estimate), the equivalent of 327 bags of Flame Grilled Steak McCoy crisps.
  3. Running 1000km will take me approximately 83 hours or 3.45 days. Maybe I should get it all over and done with in a weekend? Take the Monday off work?

This will be a big challenge for me. I understand that there are people who run 1000km in a few months, but I have a busy year. I am getting married, starting a PGDE in Edinburgh to become a teacher and I am becoming an Uncle, so fitting in regular runs will be tough, but I am excited. I will definitely have to partake in some Early Morning Runs.

I will be updating you on my quest as I work towards the end goal of 1000km, and every time I blog about my runs I will include my 'running total'.

I hope I don't look like this when I reach my target

Why not start a 1000km challenge of your own? Maybe you have done something similar before, let me know any tips you have please. Any good name suggestions for my challenge?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...